Friday, November 19, 2010

Proud

I have a brother who is a freshman and Northwestern University. Certainly we all know Northwestern is an excellent and challenging school. He plays on the baseball team there so he has a super busy schedule. Needless to say I am super proud of him and could boast forever, but I am writing this blog post today to share a story.

My brother has always done well in school, but to be honest he probably would not have been accepted to Northwestern if he couldn't play baseball so well. With that being said he was really anxious about the academic climate and if he would be able to handle the demanding workload. He was particularly nervous about all the reading and papers that he would have to write. I told him that I would help him all the way through and he could always send a paper my way for me to help him with. He will send me the paper, I'll go through it, and then we usually skype and we work together to make changes. I probably do this once a week I enjoy it because I love doing something for my brother, but also because I am getting a lot of practice as a writing consultant. Well last night he called to tell me that one of his teachers told him that his writing had improved so much in just ten weeks and that she was really impressed with his work. I congratulated him and told him how proud I was of him. He then told me how much he appreciated all my help and that I was the reason that he was improving. Then of course he told me I was the best sister in the world and that he couldn't wait to see me over Thanksgiving. I am just so proud of him!

1 comment:

  1. Wow. That is a great story for so many reasons. It can be hard for people to share their writing at all, and hard to revise their writing once they have gotten advice. I get the feeling that the way you worked with your brother somehow had the right balance of analysis and feedback and also positive coaching. It must have to have helped him make such good progress! As you look back, what do you remember as key moments? Do you think you can learn from your success with your brother in a way that you can apply to working with strangers and friends?

    ReplyDelete