Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Response to Addy's Blog Post on Athletes

I admit that I take personal offense when my peers make comments about athletes and that they are dumb or were only admitted to a school because they are good at their sport. I have two brothers who are collegiate baseball players. They are also incredibly smart. My twin brother is a student at Tulane and my younger brother is a student at Northwestern University. Not only are they just smart but they can both write very well.


Athletes being athletes has nothing to do with their academic ability or their ability to write. My reaction to the authors comment that athletes are "ill-equipped to handle the rigors of college level writing assignments" was absolute and complete frustration. That is such a naive assertion. Doesn't the author think that their difficulty with writing is that they just don't have a lot of time to dedicate to revising, revising, and revising?! Playing a sport in college, especially D1, is like having a full time job. I struggle enough only working 5 hours a week. Can you imagine getting all of your work done, impeccably of course, if you were practicing for 3 hours a day and traveling on the weekends. I don't think so.


A second point needs to be made. A lot of times athletes are born and raised in poor neighborhoods with poor school systems. For many athletes the only reason they are able to attend college is because they can shoot a basket or tackle like no one else can. (Might just add that I don't think there is anything wrong with that. All students contribute to the school in some way). Anyways, coming back to my second point-- athletes are not "ill-equipped" because they are athletes. They may be ill-equipped because they went to schools that did not prepare them well enough for college. It has NOTHING to do with there athletic ability.


I wrote on my preference sheet that I was interested in being a Writing Consultant for athletes and you probably see why. I really think that athletes are scrutinized for being athletes. They need a consult  who is able to understand what they are going through and help them to do the best they can.



3 comments:

  1. Are you sure you want to consult with them because they are athletes or because you're looking for a handsome husband ???

    ReplyDelete
  2. If this were FB I would totes like Gyra's comment and don't judge me for using "totes."

    But seriously I agree with you in saying that they may not just have time. I'm an athlete and the amount of time devoted to athletics is insane. During season with 3 hour practices a day not counting lift, video, impromptu meetings, treatment and other obligations the time simply flies. On the other hand I am sometimes too tired or too preoccupied to revise so I submit papers as is...you know what I'll finish all this in a post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allie, I think it's a really good thing that we have people like you in the world! I completely agree, athletes often fall victim to untrue stereotypes (we have all heard it). While it is unfair to say they are not equipped, they do have special needs (especially considering their time restraints).

    ReplyDelete