Friday, October 22, 2010

A Real Consultation

So I went to my shadowing yesterday and the person who I shadow says to me, "Allie, I am really sick. Would you mind covering this for me?" WHOA! She was asking me to do the real consultation. I was really really excited! I anxiously awaited the arrival of the grade student coming in with a paper for her human resources class. I was really excited to meet her. When she finally arrived she apologized for being a little late--obviously not a problem. I asked her about her class and she told me about her four children. It was nice to spend 5 minutes getting to know each other before we got started right into the think of her paper. When we finally started I asked her what the assignment was. She filled me in on the background information and I asked her what she was hoping to get out of the consultation. Luckily for me she has a few things in mind. Her teacher told her that she needed to work on summarizing the quotes with her own words. She also wanted to work on the organization of her paper. She felt that the paragraphs were a little scattered.

I felt really good about helping this woman. I definitely feel as if she walked away with a better understanding of what to do with her paper. She even asked me for my  e-mail address. Through this experience I realize that I am going to learn a lot on the job. Even just helping this one students makes me feel comfortable about becoming a writing consultant. I have compelte faith in my self that I will be able to help students in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment