Friday, September 17, 2010

Proofreading?!

I understand why Writing Consultants are not a proofreading service. If someone proofreads  student's papers time and time again the student will never learn how to proofreading for him or herself. However I do think that it might be possible that a student has not developed a skill in proofreading. Shouldn't we be able to help that student develop his or her skill? I think it would be appropriate to collaborate with a student to proofread a paper or two. After that a student should use the skills that you have given to him or her to proofread on their own.

Grammar can be tricky! If a student clearly needs help why not him him? It is possible that a paper can be very well thought out, well structured and have great flow, but it just has several grammar errors. That's distracting! Why not help? If a consultant has a tool box of knowledge shouldn't the consultant share? Isn't that what they are getting paid for. It is interesting that we would be refrained from sharing our knowledge.

I am really looking forward to shadowing a Writing Consultant next week. I think it will be fun to see what the environment is like and what kind of questions or concerns students come in with. I am also looking forward to meeting new people!  I think it will be a rewarding experience.

1 comment:

  1. I am really looking forward to shadowing a real consultant as well. I am most nervous about see ways in which a consultant overcomes issues over topics that he/she is unfamiliar with.

    ReplyDelete